Friday 24 January 2014

AFTER WHORL: BRAN REBORN is entered for THE WALTER SCOTT PRIZE FOR HISTORICAL FICTION!

Hello, and very happy Friday wishes to you!


Surprises can sometimes seem unsettling and at others they can be so overwhelmingly exciting. I just heard, yesterday, that Book 2 of my Celtic Fervour series of historical romantic adventures- AFTER WHORL: BRAN REBORN - has been entered for THE WALTER SCOTT PRIZE FOR HISTORICAL FICTION and that is definitely overwhelmingly exciting! It's the biggest competition for historical writing in the UK (not to mention the ultimate prize of £25,000!)

Unlike The People's Book Prize, which has a result driven purely by the amount of votes from the public that a book receives (my Topaz Eyes is entered for this), the Walter Scott Prize has a judging panel of people involved. They read the books (I've no idea how many they start with); whittle the pile down to a shortlist of around 6; and then a winner and 'runner-up' are chosen.

Crooked Cat Publishing has entered three historical novels for The Walter Scott Prize and the competition we'll meet will expectedly be fierce. My congratulations to Mark Patton, and Carol Hedges, for also being entered!

The judging has begun so we wait now till sometime in April when the next stage happens - a shortlist announcement.


Nothing ventured - nothing gained! I'm fairly terrified but also very pleased and highly excited that my publisher has deemed my novel sufficiently good to enter this competition.It means that I'm 'in the running' for it!

There's only one thing which is marring my joy today and that is that I've picked up a sore throat, have a disgusting headache and tickly ears. More coffee won't get rid of the cold symptoms, but my second cup will perk me up for more writerly tasks.

 I'll leave you with the linky for The Walter Scott Prize Details... Just in case you might be interested in seeing what it's all about. *smiley face here*

http://www.bordersbookfestival.org/walter-scott-prize

Wishing you a good Friday.

Slainthe!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm impressed you're able to write a blog post after receiving that news. In your place, I would be babbling incoherently. My fingers are crossed that the judges will make the correct decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. I was doing the OMG dance earlier!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)