Time waits for no man...nor for me!
The diary of THE polytunnel! Be warned- Grab a drink because this is a long blog post.
I have good excuses for my recent blog silence, even if only justifiable to me. I've willingly spent months toiling away during the day in my garden, contrasted with brain-dead evenings when all I've been fit for was binge watching some great series' via Amazon Prime video. (Nicolas le Floch was most enjoyable and I'm now watching a WW1 series about ANZAC nurses.)
My main garden make-over involved installing a 6 x 12 feet polytunnel, the polytunnel type chosen in the hope that one with polythene sides, buried more than 40 cm deep, will withstand stronger wind gusts and will not be wrecked, or fly away, during a heavy storm. My part of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, has experienced a lot more windy days these last few years and climate change indicators are such that increasingly damaging storms are more likely to occur than we've had during decades gone past. To my utter and naïve surprise, when I researched polycarbonate-glazed greenhouses most can only be guaranteed by the manufacturer up to wind speeds of 59 mph - even when the metal structure is bolted down onto a concrete base.
After quite a deliberation, I ordered a 6 x 12 feet polytunnel which I hope will survive a bit longer, well buried and with a weighty border of paving slabs to further anchor the structure.
Construction began. My daughter and her husband did the building of the frame, with me holding the bags of screws and nails. (In return, I helped a little with their new polytunnel which is a humungous one- approx. 14 x 60 feet!) It’s worth noting that the polytunnel framework can be constructed on a cold and slightly windy day but not the actual polythene cover. That had to wait for a suitable time, i.e. almost no wind and help who were not working at weekends.
My polytunnel was ordered from ‘First Tunnels’ on 25th Feb 2021. I also ordered wood to create staging, and 40x40cm slabs to create pathways up the centre of the polytunnel and around the outside.
|A challenging site|
|2 completed staging benches!|
|Polytunnel frame installation|
|Montbretia choking my lavender|
Excavated Montbretia bulbs
|2 of the holly trees before pruning |
(1 variegated and 1 not)
and one silver birch
|Polytunnel plastic cover in situ!|
|Wooden edging going in-|
my potato tubers now well sprouted!
|A proud moment when I finished the rectangular bed |
that was levelled on that slight slope!
|Vegetable seeds and onion sets now growing nicely |
in the beds created last year
|Tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes |
|Varnish does the trick!|