Wednesday 22 April 2020

What? No flour?

Good morning - Wednesday! 

Today is my day to post on the Ocelot Press blog. Every week one of the Ocelot Press fellow authors post on our joint blog and it's now my turn.

It might look as though my post is about our current COVID 19 health crisis but, it's actually not. However, since flour has been scarce, of late, it made me think of situations of 2000 years ago in the Roman Britain I write about. 


My post begins like this:

Social distancing has recently been making the process of normal food shopping a much longer one than usual, during the current ‘COVID 19 pandemic’ lockdown situation, though this post isn’t about our current global health crisis. It’s about a very ancient issue of feeding people when the supply chain is either interrupted, or needs to be established.
I bake quite often so my larder generally contains baking supplies, though not a sufficient amount for many months. Re- stocking has become an issue, of late, because flour became scarce almost overnight as a result of panic buying and stock-piling, at the end of March. (And we’ll not talk of toilet rolls! … till maybe later 😉)
Being mindful of waste, quantities for bread making, pizza dough, shortbread – and even my breakfast porridge – have been scrutinised more than normal. And in an odd way, this fits in well with my current fiction writing, since I’m often considering what my characters might be eating some 2,000 years ago in Roman Britain...

But you can hop over and read the rest of my post HERE


Meanwhile, I'm still solving many little glitches in my transfer from my old laptop to my new one. (which included finding access to this Blogger account)

Slàinte! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)