Sunday 22 September 2013

Sunday Surprise - Some September Stunners

Happy Sunday to everyone.



Once upon a time there was a little girl called...oh no! not that one. 
Once upon a time there was a brand new fruit tree with such beautiful rosy red apples...  

The patio apple tree above was given to me as a gift in March (2013). The Gala variety has produced four spectacular fruits this year, and what a stunning colour they are.

It's such a beautiful day in my part of north east Scotland. The sun is shining, it's warm for a late September day and the wind is a balmy, though strongish breeze.

In my garden, most of the blooming season is now over and the plants which flower are winding down to autumn. That doesn't mean there is no colour at present, there is, though what is there is likely to be damaged quite substantially by any overnight frosts. We had a couple of colder nights last week, with a hint of ground frost, so this is probably the last really good colour I'll see for a while. To celebrate a good year of colour in my garden I'm posting some sunny September photos today.

Enjoy!

Begonias

Since I wasn't sure how much growth I'd get from my 5 new patio fruit trees, I planted begonias and bellis in pots and set them around the base of each new tree. It took a long time for the begonias to become established and spurt into growth, the spring being a cold and poor one, but as you can see the colour now is really stunning. 

Fuchias  
 The fuchias dotted around the base of the patio fruit tree containers have also taken time to become established, but recently they've provided me with fantastic colour. Since they are set right outside the window where my desk is, I see this view every day as I sit here and type.

Geranium

I love geranium and zonal pelargonium, even if I can't really tell the difference betwen them at times. These ones above have been a cheery sight to walk ouside to every day at my back door.

Gladioli

I'm particularly pleased with the 'bargain buy' gladioli which my granddaughter and I bought one day in spring. We had fun planting them in some empty spaces, with me not really expecting much from them, but they have proved me wrong!

 

The conifers in this raised bed were planted as miniature, slow growing conifers before I came to the garden some 25 years ago. Though reluctant to remove the Thuja, and various other ones, they were threatening to break down the granite wall and have had to go.

This has left me with a bit of a job for autumn.


The soil of the raised bed is a gnarled, and knotted mess of roots, some of the trunks and stems of the conifers having much larger root bases than others.


Any good ideas on getting rid of this huge one above- without undermining the telephone pole behind it? 


It might be a lovely day, but I won't be lounging around sunning myself. I've got a little root removals to get on with.

Slainthe!


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Calum. It's very nice to have you visit.

      Delete
  2. I like this site very much so much great info.

    Also visit my homepage czas na miłość online

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)