Sunday 17 June 2018

#2 Cruising The #Baltic with #Fred Olsen’s Balmoral

The Talks begin… 10th June 2018

And I’m not referring to my own author talks, rather its the wide options for activities while cruising on The Balmoral. The ship offers a range of talks to suit all tastes. Number one priority for myself and my husband is the series of ‘port’ talks. These are informative talks with loads of visuals which give padding to the basic information given on the shore excursion leaflets. Since I'm booked on various tours at every destination, I find them very useful prior to our actual visit. They tend to be centred on the  historical aspects of the cities visited but also give a good geographical background, interspersed with some of the ancient culture and the current political.

Today’s talk highlights included separate talks on Copenhagen and Tallinn, our first two destinations. I opted not to go to the talk on Faberge since it might have given me too many shopping ideas!

The Kiel Canal
After a morning and an afternoon talk, all too soon it was time to ‘gussy’ up for the Captain’s Welcome Cocktail Party in The Neptune Lounge before our dinner. This is an opportunity to see the senior staff in the flesh since it may be the only time they are visible - though they do often walk the corridors at other times. It was also the first of at least three expected ‘Formal Evenings’ when the dress code is, unsurprisingly, formal. This year my hubby has only packed his tartan trews outfit so the Jardine tartan was happily donned once again. 

After another superb dinner it was time again to toddle up to The Observation Lounge on the 11th deck to view the sea well into the night, it not being at all dark at 11.30 p.m. After a couple of glasses of our favourite Malbec, we drifted off to bed after a leisurely day.

Slainthe!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)