Monday 15 June 2015

Tallinn's the place!



"Alexander Nevsky Cathedral" by Samuli Lintula User:Samulili - Author. Licensed under CC BY 2.5 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Alexander_Nevsky_Cathedral.jpg#/media/File:Alexander_Nevsky_Cathedral.jpg

Take Me Now

Aela and Nairn fly to many destinations in Take Me Now- Tallinn, Estonia being one of them. Aela finds Nairn is in playful mood but doesn't realise she's flying him there for any other reason than business!

www.123rf.com
I’ve been asked what made me choose the locations used in the novel and the simple answer is mostly I’ve used places I’ve been to and enjoyed visiting. However, that isn’t the case for all of the locations because I only have second-hand knowledge of Tallinn. My daughter and her husband visited the city some years ago and enthused over it so much that I knew it’s a place to add to my list of places to see and do.

One swaying comment made by my daughter was that I’d adore the cobbled streets and walls of the medieval old town and I’d find the architecture stunning. Looking at the images on the internet, I’m completely sure that I would!

Tallinn, the capital of Estonia, lies on the shores of the Baltic Sea. Said to be the cultural focus of Estonia, it has plenty of places for the visitor to wander around, the old town able to be explored on foot. If the tourist wants to venture slightly further afield, the co-ordinated bus, tram, trolley-bus system is easy to use and the ‘one card’ system makes it easy to pay for the travel.

Hop on – hop off tourist buses also give great value for sightseeing. I love using these guided tour buses when I arrive at a new city venue for a number of reasons. I generally get great value from the ticket and it gives me the opportunity to choose which places to see in more depth. There’s also the lazy reason that if I’ve recently arrived by plane I’m often whacked and need to re-charge my batteries before venturing forth. I know it’s a ‘butt on seat’ moment again but walking around for those first hours sometimes means I’m not properly appreciating what I’m seeing if I’m tired. That’s where the usual 2 day ticket is great because on Day 2 I can see exactly what I want with enough energy to keep up the pace.

www.123rf.com
In Tallinn, Aela is given an opportunity that I’m not sure I could do any more but she has a fabulous time out on the waters of the bay. Her visit to Estonia is really short but I’d be hoping for a long weekend of maybe 4 or 5 days which, I’m told, would be just about right for taking in:

The Tallinn City Museum;
Seaplane Harbour (Estonian Maritime Museum);
Kadriorg Art Museum;
Estonian History Museum- Great Guild Hall
Some of the cathedrals and the Kadriorg Palace.

There would be plenty of time to sample the local food and drinks from the variety of restaurants as I saunter around.

So…when can I go? 

Slainthe! 

 Read about Aela's escapade in Tallinn in

Amazon UK
Amazon US

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)