Wednesday 4 September 2019

#Was reading #18, 19, 20, 21 during August

Lady of the Tower by Francine Howarth

As before, I  really enjoy reading the work of Francine Howarth. I thoroughly appreciate the attention to historical detail and the author's character depiction is impeccable. For me, the best thing is always the skilled use of language, used in such a way that I'm right in there along with the characters in their setting. There's a ring of 17th century authenticity in the dialogue, yet the words still flow in twenty-first century fashion. I've read and highly enjoyed a number of novels by this author and will, I'm sure, read many more.

Recommended for anyone who enjoys a quickly read, enjoyable Historical Romance.


The Secret diaries of Miss Anne Lister edited by Helena Whitbread

Having followed the highly watchable series on TV, I decided to read the diary extracts. I normally like to read first and then watch but found as I read that the actor who played Anne Lister was vividly jumping off the page at me. 

The diaries are extensive and without the editing would clearly have been less easily read. The conclusion has to be that to have been somewhat different from what was supposedly normal back in the 1820s was a nightmare to live through. Suppress any inclination to be different or pay a dreadful price if 'in society'. I think only the very strongest, as Anne Lister must have been, were able to lead any semblance of a happy existence. 

Did I enjoy reading of her travails? Enjoy is not the correct response but I'm glad to have read her perspective of how she perceived her life, and of course, it is her interpretation of what life threw at her. Would I have liked her had I met her in society? I'm not so sure. 


Bridles Lane by Johanna Craven

I've read a number of similar books set in the west country involving smuggling and pirating. This story has some interesting twists along the way. The question of who to trust is a recurring theme that doesn't get old and right to the end there are some niggling doubts but to say more might mean some spoilers! An entertaining read.






A Sinful Countess by Francine Howarth

This is a very quick read, though just as entertaining as all of Miss howarth's writing. When I need a swift zip back t the past in a romantic setting, I know exactly which author never disappoints. Perfect for those who like Recency Romance with a spicy twist!


Slainthe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)