Tuesday 22 May 2012

THIS IS A SPECIAL DAY!

Hello everyone,
The Map Quilt, Book 2 of the Buried Treasure mysteries
By Lisa J Lickel

This is a fabulous day to have my author friend Lisa Lickel as my guest on 'she said, he said'. It's not only because she's contributing to my 'Tuesdays in May-Secondary Characters and How We Use Them' theme, but also because... it’s launch day for The Map Quilt - Book 2 of her Buried Treasure mysteries.   

 Let's celebrate with Lisa!

Lisa has special news for you. She's got some goodies to give away...but only today so... 

Visit: http://bit.ly/IVSvQX 
if that link doesn't work try this one:

http://reflectionsinhindsight.wordpress.com/official-launch-day-of-the-map-quilt-by-lisa-j-lickel-may-22/

 ...and those who purchase Lisa's book today are eligible for a raft of gifts.
 

But first of all, who is Lisa?

LISA J LICKEL is a multi-published author who enjoys writing and performing radio theater, short story-writing, and is an avid book reviewer and blogger. She enjoys teaching writing workshops and working with new writers and freelance editing. She is the editor of Wisconsin Writers Association’s Creative Wisconsin magazine. She lives in a hundred and sixty-year-old house in Wisconsin filled with books and dragons. Married to a high school biology teacher, she enjoys travel and quilting.
 www.lisalickel.com

Well, Lisa, I guess my house is older by around 30 years, give or take a few, but I don't think I've got any dragons down in my cellar. In my husband's study? Now that's another matter! Another thing we share, though, is a love of travel...and I'm really getting very involved in mysteries, so let's meet the friends from The Map Quilt that you've invited along with you today. 

There's a lovely old lady being interviewed. Rest your feet, sip your drink and listen in. (or maybe drool over what's on offer!)


*****

 
Good morning, Mrs. Edwards. Thank you for the coffee. And toast. And coffeecake. Blueberry, is it? Oh, and no, thanks, no cookie right now. They’re oatmeal, you say? Yes, you’re right. Oatmeal is good for breakfast, but…perhaps later. No, the coffee’s fine, I just need…Right, let’s get on with the interview. So, tell us about yourself, ma’am. For the record.
Well, sweetheart, aren’t you the dearest thing? You’re so kind to let me tell a bit of my story. I’m Ardyth Genevieve Anderson Belters Edwards, Mrs. Bryce Edwards, that is. I’m a newlywed, even though I’m celebrating my seventy-seventh birthday in August. And thank you for calling me Mrs. Edwards. Still like the sound of that. I was born and raised right here in Robertsville, though I left for bigger adventures when I turned eighteen. I don’t regret marrying Mr. Belters as I have my dear children, Paul, Robert, and Gwen. But if Bryce and I hadn’t been so pig-headed back then, we would have settled down together…well, no use getting my dander up about that now. We have each other now and are all the more wise.
Did you know I once had a little, bitty crush on Judy’s great uncle Harold, Bryce’s best friend, even though I’d set my cap on Bryce? I guess it’s always a bit of a thrill thinking about the other side of the fence. When Harold went on that gold-mining adventure to Alaska I couldn’t help wanting desperately to go along. Then Bryce announced he was going and they made that-that bet! That was the limit. Good-bye, adios, and farewell.
Since that dear Louise was killed, I never thought I’d have another girlfriend in town. Judy’s a young thing, she is, with a wise and kind heart. It’s a strange thing to have a friend so much younger, but we have lots in common. Sure, we come from Midwest farm stock, know what it’s like to make do. And quilt. So it wasn’t hard for Judy and me to solve the latest murder case, though that young whipper snapper husband of Judy’s better learn some patience, even he is my husband’s business partner.
That’s quite intriguing, Mrs. Edwards. I remember reading about that in the Wisconsin headlines. Tell us what happened. How did you solve the murder?
Oh, my. I can’t tell you that, now. Take the fun out of reading the story for yourself.
You’re right. I apologize. Can you at least share what the case was about?
Why, that lovely woman, Julietta Barslow, of course. I like her spunk, standing up for what’s right all these generations. And to think she came from good Christian stock. Her people never were slaves or even indentured servants. Able to care for themselves right from the get-go. Such a story she has to tell. Well, even before Julietta came to give her program to the school kids, there was the Robertsville Ladies Quilting Society, the ones who sewed that quilt in Judy’s trunk. The quilt with a map on it leading folks along the Underground Railroad. Right through Robertsville. My husband’s family was part of that, too, you know. Good folks seeing no sense in buying and selling souls. A story like that has to be told. Julietta would never have sabotaged Bryce’s business. That lady is no murderer. She did help with Judy’s baby, and all. Probably saved their lives.
image courtesy of www.123RF.com

Any troubles with the case?
That little reporter gal, Olivia Hargrove. Responsible reporting, my foot. She nearly ruined the whole thing with all her nosy busy-bodyness. She had no call to go and accuse members of my family the way she did. My grandson Bryan, that’s Paul’s oldest, you know, eighteen, why he’s a good boy. Just a little misguided is all. He’ll come out right. I hope. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I like her and all, and admire the way Judy’s trying her best to get along with everyone. It must have been so difficult being an orphan, raised by Louise, dear hear that she was. What was the question? Who’s the orphan? Go on, you say? Yes, let’s.
Do you think you’ll ever collaborate with Judy on another case?
Bad business, this latest murder, for sure. But thrilling, I have to admit. Even though I’d never wish bad things to happen to anyone. No one else knows This yet, so keep quiet. You don’t see that reporting gal around, do you? Olivia? Shhh…we’re ready to solve poor old Esme’s murder. She was Bryce’s aunt, though no one really knew about it. I have my suspicions, of course, about who would done it, but Judy’s the sleuth. I’m her chief aide. If only Cat hadn’t been so reckless. Judy, dear, I think I might be a little distracted, what between Cat and my daughter Gwen, I’m a mess. That’s okay if you want to work with her some more. She’s the one who found the code and all, anyhow.
You don’t say. My, that does sound thrilling. Where do you live again? I want to make sure it’s not on our summer vacation list.
(Sniff) Now, there, Robertsville is really a nice place. Lovely. Have another cookie. And an apple.

*****
It sounds to me as though there are plenty of names mentioned there who have great potential to have their own stories. I wonder who I'd pick first? I'm thinking it might be Olivia...then again, maybe Julietta? 
Here's the blurb for The Map Quilt to give you a little idea of what the story is all about.
 
The Map Quilt:
Death in rural Wisconsin is only the beginning to new chaos in Robertsville. What do a stolen piece of revolutionary agricultural equipment, a long-buried skeleton in the yard, and an old quilt with secrets have in common? Hart and Judy Wingate, who met in The Gold Standard, are back to solve the mystery of The Map Quilt. Hart’s new battery design could forever change the farm implement industry. But after the death of Hart’s most confrontational colleague in a fire that destroys Hart’s workshop, the battery is missing. Throw in a guest speaker invited to Judy’s elementary classroom who insists she owns the land under Hart’s chief competitor’s corporate headquarters, and a police chief who’s making eyes at Hart’s widowed mother, it’s no wonder Hart is under a ton of pressure to make sure his adventurous pregnant wife stays safe while trying to preserve his company and his reputation.


Now available as an eBook; print coming soon-watch for news on www.lisalickel.com
eBook info:
ISBN: 978-1-77127-038-0
AISN:

Purchase links:
MuseItUp bookstore: http://bit.ly/JE7kti
Thank you for joining me today, Lisa, and for introducing your friends. I wish you a very happy launch and great sales.


Slainthe!


4 comments:

  1. I wanted to see what your secondary character topic is about but the link didn't work? Anyway, nice post and it made me want to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra,
    For my Tuesdays in May blogs I have been posting about how people can use a secondary character/s to go on as the main protagonist/s in a new stand alone book, or as a second book of a series. Perhaps try the Archive for Tuesdays in May to date: ie- 1st, 8th and 15th so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sandra and Nancy: let me give the link again here:
    http://reflectionsinhindsight.wordpress.com/official-launch-day-of-the-map-quilt-by-lisa-j-lickel-may-22/

    Also, good news- The Map Quilt is on Amazon UK:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/278-8211983-8004039?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The+Map+Quilt+by+Lisa+Lickel&x=16&y=19

    Thank you for having us visit today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa! I'll go back and link-up again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)