Sunday 31 March 2019

#wasreading 11-13 during #March

March reading update! 

My non-fiction reading during March has mostly been to dip back into research books on Roman Scotland that I’ve already read once through. Since I can’t recall exact details, I have to do lots of fact-checking as I do new writing set in late first century A.D. during the Flavian occupations of 'Scotland'.

However, one new research book read in March took me some time to read, in between many other pressing daily domestic and writing related tasks. Here’s the gist of it, and similarly the gist of some fiction also read during March.

Non-fiction - Domitian: Tragic Tyrant by Pat Southern.  5 stars

This was recommended to me as the ‘go to’ book for studying Emperor Domitian A.D. 81-96. I requested the loan of this book from my local library since the hardback copy was priced at £93.99 on Amazon; paperback at £35.99; and Kindle at £26.99 - none of which I could afford. I’m absolutely delighted to say that Aberdeenshire Libraries, and Kintore in particular, did me proud by acquiring a paperback copy for me.   

This gave me many some insights about Domitian that I wouldn’t have managed to extract from other sources. I particularly enjoyed the references Pat Southern used from contemporary and later sources – poets and writers – which I personally can’t read in the original Latin or Greek. These focused on an emperor who knew he was always going to come to power after the successful careers of his brother Titus, and father Vespasian. Whether, or not, he had anything to do with the early demise of his brother Titus, it was an onerous task to assume the mantle of the emperor during the expansion of the Roman Empire when there were many other ‘power hungry’ military commanders with multiple Roman legions backing them.

I didn’t learn very much about Domitian’s policies regarding Britannia but reading between the lines of Pat Southern’s text, Domitian had to concentrate on the insurrection that was closest to Rome. What happened on the periphery of the western Empire boundary was not his main concern.

Fiction read in March included:

The Ides of April by Lindsey Davis 5 stars

Once again Ms Davis did not disappoint! I read a number of L. Davis’ books during the 1990s and then had a period of catch up more recently. I love her casual chatty detective mystery style of delivery – albeit all set in Ancient Rome. I sussed out the perpetrator quite early on but that didn’t detract from the very engrossing read.






A Wicked Earl’s Widow by Aubrey Wynne 4 stars

This was an entertaining quick read. There were a few references to historical timeline events and use of particular words ( US versus British English) which I wondered about as I read that had me making a search for details. Since I was reading what was essentially a Regency style novel, they seemed 'not quite right' but fortunately they didn’t stop the flow of my read. 





Chasing the Case (The First Isabel Long Mystery) by Joan Livingston 5 stars

This was a really enthralling read which had me desperately wanting to solve the mystery. I love the chatty style of writing though, admittedly, the changes of tense took me a short time to acclimatise to. Isabel is one of the few heroines I’ve read about recently that I truly would like to get to know in a downtown coffee bar in the wilds of rural US. Her aging mother sounds like a great character to meet as well though only if you have a squeaky clean police record.

I look forward to reading more entertaining stories involving Isabel Long.

From this short update, I really can see that I need to find more leisure reading time during April to ensure that I can fulfill my reading targets on Goodreads and Wendy's Reading Challenge on Facebook!

Slainthe!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)