Tuesday 30 July 2019

2019 July Cruising #Norwegian Fjords 3 & 4

Sunday 28th July Flam

Sailing up the Sognefjorden to Flam was stupendous, though I only saw a little bit of it since we travelled through most of the fjord overnight. The views there are incredible – steep sided mountains that slope right down into the fjord water with absolutely no beach at all.


Our coach tour from Flam took us to Osterbo, a journey from virtual fjord sea level to a height of some 2.5 thousand feet. The coach driver drove thorough many tunnels and around some tortuous bends to get us to the very pretty area called Osterbo. (apologies for the lack of some accents). Osterbo was like a pretty alpine valley village and at such an incredibly high altitude it’s almost unreal that there could be flat land up there that is productive in anyway at all.

I met some really interesting characters at our stop for Norwegian waffles with cream and jam and coffee

I have many photographs, most of which will take me ages to process properly but here are a few of them now...

Since my internet access is not regular I'll add more later. 


Slainthe!

Monday 29th Olden

Again, like Bergen I had visited Olden only a couple of years ago so my OH and I opted to do our own thing when ashore and had not booked any of the official tours as we’d done some recently.

The temperature in Olden was around 33 deg C and very humid. We decided that a great alternative to walking the short distance into the town of Olden was to take a ride on the little tourist train. Train carriages pulled along by a sort of tractor.

It was a fabulous idea since it took us beyond the town and there was a giuided tour commentary as part of the £20 ticket. After a great little tour we ate lunch at the quayside Gasthaus where  I sampled freshly caught halibut and drank the local 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)