Friday 10 October 2014

The Haunting of Highdown Hall by Shani Struthers


Fancy that - it's Friday again! 
 
I'm way behind on writing reviews for the excellent books I've managed to read these last weeks so... here's the first of them. I purposely don't write any spoilers and never re-hash the book since I think it spoils the potential reader's enjoyment, so the comments on the books are short and mostly sweet!


The first of these is by a fellow Crooked Cat author- Shani Struthers whose book is 
The Haunting of Highdown Hall.

This was an enjoyable easy read, thankfully not scary, because I’d have been running for cover since I live in an old house. I’ve not read any paranormal novel of this sleuthing type where the protagonists are so gentle in their persuasion in helping spirits to move on to the ‘next place’ - therefore the novelty factor sustained my interest throughout. Introducing the main characters was thorough, the writing crisp and the editing excellent. The main characters are likeable, their personalities sufficiently different even though they are working to a common goal. There are a number of supporting characters whom I can easily see as being stronger in possible future stories. The premise of the spirit guidance is convincingly consistent all the way through the novel.

Any future books in the series will, I'm sure, be just as entertaining. 

This is a five star read, recommended for anyone who likes a non-scary ghost story, and maybe for the cosy mystery lover as well. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)